Are We Alone – Outta This World: Hollywood

by Gary Niederhoff on February 14, 2011

Part 4 of Outta This World, featuring Jennifer Ouellette, writer and former director, National Academy of Sciences’ Science and Entertainment Exchange.
(TRT 16:45)

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

avatar Jed Sutherland February 17, 2011 at 8:33 am

As I admire Molly Bentley and enjoy her work on AWA, it pains me to point out a most egregious error in Part 4 of AWA featuring Jennifer Ouellette.

As far as I can tell, Molly pronounces Jennifer’s last name as Oo-let. Her name is also misspelled on this on this blog.

The correct spelling is “Ouellette”, pronounced “Whu-let” with the accent on the last syllable. I know this because, in my part of bilingual Canada (as if), there are many people with this name and no one uses Molly’s pronunciation.

And by the way, the link to Ms. Ouellette’s site is wrong, but I’ll let you figure out why.

Other than that, keep up the good work.

Jed Sutherland

avatar Gary Niederhoff February 18, 2011 at 11:51 am

Thanks for catching my misspelling and the broken url. I’ve fixed them.

Seth and Jennifer have known each other for years, and he assures me that her name was pronounced correctly.

avatar Jed Sutherland February 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Well, then they’re both wrong. Imagine this: the aliens arrive, Seth steps out to speak to them, he misunderstands the head alien’s name and we end up with interstellar war.

The consequences are unimaginable.

Seriously though, I’ve heard lots of names that were originally French pronounced incorrectly in American Anglophone. If Ms. Ouellette is OK with it, it’s fine by me.

Thanks for responding.

avatar Jennifer Ouellette February 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Actually, Jed is correct on the pronunciation. But I don’t consider it egregious, since my last name is usually mis-pronounced, even by good pals who I’ve known for years. :)

avatar Seth Shostak February 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Je m’excuse sincèrement pour la regrettable erreur de prononciation lorsque j’ai évoqué le nom de Jennifer Ouellette. Hélas, mon français est loin d’être parfait, et définitivement, beaucoup moins bon que mon
Lithuanien.

– Seth

avatar Jed Sutherland February 25, 2011 at 10:10 am

Seth, nice work on the French and much better than I would have done.

It’s nice to know that the crew of AWA have a sense of humour and irony about their work.

As humour and irony of two of the defense mechanisms I use to deal with the world, I don’t feel so “alone” now.