Whither the Weather?
Listen right now:Download file
ENCORE We all talk about the weather. And now scientists are doing something about it: providing more accurate warnings before big storms hit. Discover how smart technology – with an eye on the sky – is taking monster weather events by storm.
Plus, why severe weather events caused by a warming planet may trigger social and economic chaos.
Also, meet the storm chaser who runs toward tornadoes as everyone else flees… and why your cell phone goes haywire when the sun kicks up a storm of its own.
- Michael Smith – Meteorologist, founder of WeatherData and author of Warnings: The True Story of How Science Tamed the Weather
- George Kourounis – Explorer and storm chaser
- Jeffrey Scargle – Research astrophysicist in the Astrobiology and Space Science Division at NASA Ames Research Center
- Ken Caldeira – Climate scientist at the Carnegie Institution for Science’s Department of Global Ecology
- Christian Parenti – Contributing editor of The Nation, visiting scholar at the City University of New York, and author of Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence
First released September 12, 2011